What does it take to be properly trained for cross-cultural service?
Did you know that most missionaries only last about 24 months on the field? Are you afraid of being listed among those who drop out prematurely? Statistics show that comprehensive, pre-field training greatly increases your chances of being more fruitful and staying on the mission field longer.
The big question then is “What does it take to be properly trained for cross-cultural service?” Experts answer this by stating best practices include missionaries being equipped through experiential learning to:
- live, communicate and serve cross-culturally*,
- skillfully use language acquisition tools and techniques
- share a theologically sound and culturally relevant gospel message
- grow in self-awareness and the awareness of others*
* THRIVE’s greatest contribution to the training of Missionary Candidates
Equipping Tomorrows Effective Missionaries
THRIVE is designed with Cross-cultural Messengers of the Gospel in mind. THRIVE focuses on equipping Missionary Candidates to effectively navigate the difficult transition of leaving the comfort of their home culture to entering and settling in an adopted host culture.
In a Nutshell
THRIVE’s training will equip you to effectively navigate the difficult transition of leaving the comfort of your home culture to entering and settling in your adopted host culture. THRIVE will pave the way:
- for you, in the light of the Holy Spirit’s leading, to gain a more accurate self-awareness of your motives, drives, joys, fears, strengths and weaknesses that are surfacing;
- for your interacting with Father God and allowing Him to show His grace during both your current and anticipated pains and joys of your cross-cultural journey;
- for you to physically, mentally and emotionally leave your personal comfort zone and go wholeheartedly to the world of others who are different, all for the sake of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
These are positive descriptions of your anticipated growth. They are words of hope. They reveal that God is committed to your character development. In addition, He is committed to your spiritual vitality, your effectiveness, your endurance and enjoyment as well as your satisfaction, in ministry in your host culture. In short, God desires you to THRIVE in every area of your life.
Relevant Transformational Content
As we navigate through this content, we will provide you with support, encouragement and accountability as you process:
- Personal issues
- Single/marital and family issues
- Team dynamics and conflicts
- Church experience
- Authority issues
- Ministry successes and failures
- Life in community
- Your joys and heartaches
- Gifting and calling
- Your personal values, ways of thinking and drives, and
- Your life purpose and vision
While we will work through the prescribed material that will be contained in your binder, our real goal is that what we share in our time together will strengthen and renew your heart. Our prayers are that at the end of our time together, there will be an assurance that God has brought you here for a purpose and that you will leave refreshed.
- Principles of healthy goodbyes
- RAFT = Reconciliation, Affirmation, Farewells, Thinking Destination
THRIVE spans a 6-day period that focuses on equipping cross-cultural messengers of the Gospel to effectively navigate the difficult transition of leaving the comfort of their home culture to entering and settling in an adopted host culture.
Arrival & Departure
|Start – Monday
|Final Day – Saturday
A Typical Day
- Evenings: Free, Assignments, Prescribed DVD, Dessert gathering
Synergy in Partnership
Our favorite partners in cross-cultural ministry are Mission Agencies/Organizations and local Churches who recognize our specialty – the focused training of their Missionary Candidates to:
- effectively exit their home culture and enter their new host culture with resiliency and vitality
- live, communicate and serve cross-culturally
- grow in self-awareness and the awareness of others
- productively manage themselves when their values are challenged
- build effective bridges of communication to those they live with and work among
We value their outsourcing to us the equipping of their cross-cultural messengers of the Gospel to effectively navigate the difficult and challenging issues of transitioning across cultures.
Minimum Number of Participants
Four adults is the “magic” number of participants in order to maximize the learning experience and the desired outcomes.
Please note: We do not offer training for children.
All trainees are to purchase and read “Ministering Cross-Culturally” by Lingenfelter & Mayers just before their arrival so that it is fresh in their minds. Included in this book is a questionnaire that is to be completed and self-scored. Several quick and easy worksheets related to the book will be forwarded to you to be completed before you arrive on Campus.